Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fifteen

As I look upon what used to be Soupy Sales Fountain and was now a hideous metallic sculpture, I find myself musing about my time in the mediocre town of Huntington, WV, and those items that so affected my brief time here; my iPod, my Roomba, and, of course, my Wii.

The technology severed my connections with the real world, and when I at last returned to that world, I found it profoundly changed. 10 years makes a big difference. When we are away from a place for so long we tend to cement it in our memories; we freeze it in Kodachrome. How ego-centered we are that we believe the world, devoid of our influence, does not change.

When I killed that man just for snoring, I guess in a way I knew it was wrong. But he had it coming. The Law wouldn’t find me, not here. I looked too different, my identity was carefully crafted, and let’s face it: people in West Virginia weren’t the sharpest bulbs in the box. I moved among them like the proverbial fox in the hen house. My only problem was getting used to the goddam accent. It curdled my stomach.

I would lay low, planning my next move as carefully as an architect designing a cathedral. My next kill would be a work of art. Not one of these cow-faced nobodies. They would never appreciate the beauty of what I do. No, it would have to be someone special.

But who?

No comments:

Post a Comment