Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Purpose of Project "The End"

One day a couple of months ago I heard a story on NPR about some guy who embarked on the project of writing one ending to a piece of music every day for a year.

I heard a sampling...some were great, some mediocre, some sucked. No avoiding that. You write that much in 365 days the odds will sometimes fall against you. What mattered was: he did it. Despite the fact that there were days when he just didn't want to do it, he did. You gotta admire that kind of discipline.

I came up with the thought of trying to duplicate this feat, but using words instead of music. I have some musical talent, but I have a much better command of the written language and little desire to humiliate myself in cyberspace.

Due to business travel and other commitments, there is no way I'll be able to do one a day, but the concept still holds true. The last page of a book. It may be fiction or non-fiction, comedy or tragedy, entertaining or downright crap. No guarantees. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment